Sunday, June 10, 2007

Sam Houston | Rating 91

Coincidence brought me face to face with this very small batch bourbon. Soon after moving to Houston, I stumbled upon a bottle of bourbon named after the the city's namesake. The distiller also bottles Jefferson's Reserve and carries a handwritten label. Good start, and an even better finish. Although 90 proof, the initial nose is not overpowering. A dash of water brings out an excellent palate - sweet, but not sugary or fruity - the sweetness only found when aged by an expert. The finish only accents those flavors and leaves you wanting more. Being hand crafted, I highly doubt you will come across a bottle belonging to the same batch. However, I would bet the attention each bottle receives will reward you as well as it did me. I intend to find out soon for myself. Treat yourself and I'm sure you'll agree, Sam Houston should always be stocked in your private collection.

Price: $25

Rating: 91

--Marc

samhouston10

No comments: