Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Knob Creek | Rating 90

Knob Creek- one good whiskey.  I had it with water and I must say that it is better served straight on the rocks.  The water masked the full flavor of  the whiskey and it tasted flat.  Knob is a smooth enough whiskey not to have  to mix it with anything to take off the edge.

This brings me to a important factor in drinking whiskey- the mix.  It is 
crucial that you have to have an experienced and knowledgeable bartender to  mix a fine whiskey with anything.  If the mixture is correct the full flavor  will brought out in the drink.  If you have a bartender that commonly mixes  other drinks in that the sole purpose is to see how much liquor can be added  to a mixture, the whiskey will turn out all wrong and the experience of a  good high end whiskey is ruined due to the inexperience of the bartender.  I believe that was a major part of the problem with my Knob and water  yesterday evening.

Even with the wrong mixtures, Knob is still a very fine whiskey and I would  recommend it to anyone looking to expand there whiskey experiences beyond  the Jim, Jack and SoCo standards at any bar you go to.  It is a step up in  quality so be prepared to take a step up in price both in the bar and at the  store.  The extra is well worth it in my opinion.

On this particular evening I was enjoying my Knob and water when the 
atmosphere was suddenly picked up when a couple of older gentlemen came  driving up to the bar- one in a completely refurbished 1962 Corvette and the  other in a refurbished 1957  Studebaker Golden Hawk with a rebuilt engine that would make the old Chevy 454 cry like a baby.  If the Knob and water  wasn't enough, the addition of two classic automobiles to the scene at the  bar was enough to make the evening a success in my book.  Its not everyday  that you get to enjoy a fine whiskey while checking out two classic cars.  
Turns out the two older gentlemen were also quite the comedians and kept the  bar going for quite some time with their material.  I feel obligated to  share one of the jokes with you at this time- Have you ever heard of a  carnival woman?  No, what is that.  (As he wipes off his face) the kind of  woman who sits on your face so you can guess her weight.

While the Knob and water was not the best I had ever had the rest of the 
evening made up for it and all is well that goes down as smooth as a good 
whiskey.  I give Knob Creek a 90 on a 100 point scale.  It is a must have in  my regular rotation.

100 Proof

--Matt

415_sidebar

No comments: