Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Jack Daniel's No. 7 | Rating 82

I'll admit up front that I am partial to the Jack Daniel's line of whiskeys, especially the black label. It was the whiskey that I cut my whiskey drinking teeth on. I love the fact that it is somewhere in the middle of the road as far as not being too sweet and not being too dry for my taste. It can be mixed with jut about anything and it still tastes good. Plus it drinks really well by itself. Its my utility infield if you will. It can adapt to just about any situation--on the rocks, or with water in a formal setting, or mixed with coke or sweet and sour mix at a backyard BBQ. not many other whiskeys can do that.
The Taste
: As mentioned earlier its a middle of the spectrum taste wit ha slight lean towards the dry side. It doesn't have the sting that other whiskeys have which I like.
The Bottle
: What can you say, it might be the most recognizable liquor bottle ever. The No. 7 label is like none other. Or should I say the others are nothing like the old No. 7. Its an American icon. Enough said.
The Price
: Its in a good price range. $30-$40 at the store and a reasonable price at the bar. Not too cheap that its a regular on the 25 cent night circuit and not too expensive that it blows the budget with a couple of rounds.
The Hangover
: Its a high enough end whiskey that the hangovers are usually mild. When dealing with a dark liquor its key in the hangover department to find something that's not going to beat you to death the next morning. I've drank the better part of a 750 ml in a relatively short time period and woke up the next morning feeling like one million dollars.
Overall
: I give Jack Daniel's Black Label two thumbs up. The taste is good, it has a coolness factor like no other whiskey and its a quality affordable selection that doesn't stay with you the next morning. Its one of my favorites.
--Matt

jack-daniels_sidebar

No comments: