Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Old Grand-dad (First Review) | Rating 75

Old Grand-dad bourbon is one that will make your eyes bulge out and you’ll exclaim “POHHEE!! “ My first taste, as in all my reviews, was made with a healthy portion of Old Grand-dad straight over ice.  Now I love bourbon, you can’t stop me loving bourbon, but this one made me pucker up like I just swallowed a lime.  It is not sour like a lime, but it provides a shock to the system.  At 114 proof, its no wonder it packs quite the punch.  There should be a warning label on the front that says, “Old Grand-dad should not be enjoyed near any open flames.”  But let’s move past the fact that this jet fuel of a bourbon is hard to drink straight up on the rocks.  After a few sips straight up, I cut the distilled pleasure with a splash of water.  Wow, what a difference!  Old Grand-dad comes alive with full flavors of smoke and caramel.  Caramel, yep, that’s what I said.  I sat and enjoyed a few glasses of the water cut bourbon while in the biggest little town in the Texas panhandle with two other bourbon connoisseurs.  With friends or sitting in a blizzard by yourself, this is a good bourbon--just drink cautiously.


Price
: $23/750mL

Rating:
75
--Eric


126281_big

No comments: